If you want something badly out of life, the you should start setting goals. A goal is your action plan to achieve your life’s dream. Below are 6 key reasons why setting goals is so important:
- It makes you clear about your final destination (Vision): Without goals, you go through life aimlessly, not achieving what you want for yourself. A goal is a dream that needs work done in order for you to achieve it. To have success, you need to spell out your end desire and then try to achieve it systematically. Once you crystallize your goals, get all secondary thoughts out of the way and channel your time and efforts into reaching where you want to go. This will make your life more purposeful.
- Goals give you the impetus to move forward (Drive): Goals motivate you to move in a particular direction. To achieve your goal, visualize yourself in a particular role or position and keep that mental picture before you. With this image urging you on, you can achieve your life’s dream easily.
- You zero in on achieving your goals (Focus): With goals, you can focus your attention single-mindedly on a particular aspect of life that you aspire to and spend all your time and energy on it. Once you articulate it, you can move in a specific direction and achieve it.
- You’re forced to take action (Action): Goal-setting obliges you to work towards your goals and achieve success. Goals give you clarity on whether you are living up to your commitment or not. By being accountable to your goals, you remain true to your innermost desires.
- You can reach the pinnacle of your potential (Excellence): With goals, you can reach your maximum potential. You can now set targets and work towards achieving them. Your goals could take you out of your comfort zone into different worlds and environments. You may cover ground you never thought possible. This can heighten your self-awareness and let you learn more about life and yourself.
- You can get the most out of life (Living): Your newly-acquired knowledge and abilities will allow you to experience more out of the same life experiences you’ve had so far. Goal-setting gives you a different perspective of life, making you think more lucidly and in greater depth than you did before.
Secondly, by setting measurable goals, we get the most out of our experiences while we live. If you know your purpose in life, your goals will ensure that you reach where you want to go.